Friday, June 3, 2011

June 2, 2011 - Photo of the Day

Today's "Picture of the Day" is titled, "The Mouth" for obvious reasons.  It's not the most  flattering photo I've ever had taken of me....but it will serve a purpose for what I have on my heart today.

I've been meditating on the power of words.  What I say.  

The Bible says, "as a man thinks in his heart, so is he," (Proverbs 23:7)  and "out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks" (Matthew 12:34).  

What that says to me, is that eventually (unless you never speak...take a vow of silence for your entire life...etc.) the REAL you is going to come out in what you say.  Maybe not in front of the minister, or our boss, or someone else we hold in high regard....but it will come out.   Most likely with those whom we love and who are supposed to love us. 

Our society has become less civil in our speech in general.  Words that were never spoken when I was a child...in front of a child....are yelled out car windows, across lawns, at regular intervals.  What does that say about what is in our collective hearts?  "You mother #*!=#!"   Think about it.

I know what my mouth can do (and has done).  And it isn't always pretty....

My prayer has become that of the psalmist:  "Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in Your sight, O Lord, my strength, and my redeemer."  (Psalm 19:14)
Blessings!

Vicki

No comments:

Post a Comment